Labels

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Get rich or sit on the couch waiting for your next big break.

My dad says I use too much money. Pfffft!
Of course I disagree with him. He's old. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. I've locked horns with my old man a couple of times and he's never been shy to express his sentiments. Case in point; that time I got my third suspension in high school and he told me that I made his eyes sore. In his defence though, that was a pretty dumb suspension (then again, weren't they all). Oh sweet high school *cue nostalgia. How I miss you.
This (not the suspension) came a couple of months back when I asked for my allowance as I always do, then ensued the usual conversation;
Me: Dad, I need my allowance.
Dad: Its a month already? *sighs. How much do you need? (Like he doesn't know. Note: This is a trick question)
Me: (insert amount) kama kawaida tu.
Dad: *pauses. Mbona hiyo yote? Kwani unaeda kufungua biashara shule? Hiyo ni pesa nyingi sana.
Me: But dad, that's what you give me every month.
Dad: Is it? You're using alot of money. (Yeah. This he notices today after a whole year of a constant routine). You'll have to calculate write down your spending so that I know where this money is going to. Hata kama ni kukunywa na kupelekana date... si hivyo! Abeg! (Okay. Maybe not that last part. Haha)
Me: Haya nitaandika. Lakini ongeza ukiweza. (I always add this.)
Repeat conversation every month. I never write down that list... too much work. I dunno why I just wrote all that but this is the point.
We live in a get rich quick world. Almost weekly there's an analyst/ researcher that's saying how today's youth want to get to the top of the financial food chain as fast as is humanly possible. And I agree. We all want to be ahead in the game and the faster the better. 'Your generation is too impatient.' Some old geezer told me. (No it wasn't father) 'You have to start small and climb your way progressively to the top. You don't just shoot up. Baby steps.' He said. He gave me an example of a guy he knows, a recently graduated engineer who turned down 35k as a starting salary for a job in some corporate firm. As he was giving me this little tale, I was giving him the 'How is that surprising' look. I thought he was justified to turn down the offer but apparently my 'senior' didn't share my sentiments adding that in his day, all they got for a salary was 5000 bob a month.
I blame society for my opinion. Why do schools rush students to complete their curriculum in the shortest time possible? You're rushed to clear a 4 year program in 3 years yet its your fault that you want to get ahead in the shortest time possible? Hypocricy, the epitome of. We live in a time and age where nothing is cheap anymore, not even the most basic of necessities. Today, 5k is barely enough for monthly shopping of household goods for the middle class Kenyan *raises hand. This not including the long list of gadgets and 'stuff' we need to keep abreast with the dynamics of modern day living. A (smart)phone is probably the most important gadget you will ever purchase, and these things don't come cheap. Not forgetting the wide selection of phones that are out there and as is common knowledge, bigger is always better. Laptops in school have become more of necessities than luxuries. Plus who minds a new pair of jeans on occasion? 
Where then does the money come from to buy all this stuff? Well in my case, my folks. In Mr Reject a 'low' paying job's case, its his (hopefully) next job offer. In all honesty, you're like a parked car without money. And the more you get, the further you'll go. That's why in my case, until I graduate, I am intent on depleting my dad's finances to the best of my ability. Frankly, when you graduate from campus, you're on your own- unless of course you're daddy's little girl. No I was not trying to be gender sensitive.

This post is discombombulated. Take what you will from it and leave the rest for the next guy that trips and falls here.
Sincerely,
Tired but Insomniac

No comments:

Post a Comment